Oven Baked St. Louis Style BBQ Ribs
This St. Louis ribs recipe is easy, delicious, tender, and baked in the oven. St. Louis style ribs are meatier and tender but not falling off the bone you get to use your teeth a bit more to bite into the tenderness. Check out my baby back rib recipe if you are looking for rib meat that will melt off the bone and how to cook ribs in the oven.
- Author: beckie
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 4 Hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Dinner / Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Ingredient List Ribs:
- 4 lb St Louis Style Pork Ribs
- 1 tsp tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup + BBQ Sauce or ingredients below to make it yourself
Ingredients List Barbecue sauce (or you can buy some). In a pot add:
- 1 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sharp or dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (you can add more if you like it hotter)
- Preheat oven to 250F.
- For the sauce: Use a store bought bbq sauce (My favorite, hands down, is Sweet Baby Rays Original) or combine all the BBQ sauce ingredients above in a pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook uncovered ~ 30 minutes or until sauce is reduced & thickened (it will continue to thicken as it cools). Stir occasionally so it doesnt burn.
- For the ribs:Pull any fat off the ribs that easily comes off with your fingers (if you cant pull it off then it supposed to be there!). Peel off any tough membrane that is on the bony side of the ribs if its not done already. Lightly sprinkle ribs with garlic salt, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place ribs (bone side up; meat side down) on a baking rack over the sheet (so the ribs arent sitting in grease). Cover with aluminum foil and bake ~ 3 1/2 -4 hours or until ribs are very tender.
- Take ribs out. Flip and slather with barbecue sauce. Bake uncovered an additional 20-30 minutes or until BBQ sauce is boiling and brown. Turn on broiler if needed, but watch carefully that it doesnt burn.
- Serve with potato salad and corn on the cob and extra barbecue sauce on the side. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Dont have time for all that? Throw it in a crock-pot with BBQ sauce and set on low for 8 hours.
- Dont understand what the membrane is? Skip taking it off, most people skip it anyway.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Crock-pot 6 quarts, programmable, affordable, and comes with a 2 cup dipper to keep your dip/sauces warm.
- Silicone basting brush Get the large. Heat resistant to 600F, cleans easy, doesnt clump.
- 12 x 17 jelly roll baking sheetI use this for practically everything that goes in my oven. Great price and a 2 pack.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Ribs, BBQ, Barbecue, St. Louis Style Ribs, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Barbecue Ribs, BBQ Ribs, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Oven Baked Ribs