National Pizza Day is February 9th, and August 24th is National Waffle Day. Americans don’t need a reason to enjoy their favorite foods (pizza ties with burgers on different surveys [source]).
This savory waffles recipe is a celebration food on either holiday. It was developed with a gluten-free baking mix by Pamela’s Products. The Pancake & Baking Mix (photo #3). The gluten-free mix is made with premium ingredients like cultured buttermilk and almond meal and has 8 grams of whole grains per serving.
You can also use a conventional pancake mix (with no sugar added) or baking mix. The waffles can be customized with each person’s favorite toppings.
> The history of pizza.
These waffles reheat very well, so make a double batch and freeze some for a quick and easy meal later.
1. MAKE the filling. Cook and crumble the sausage; drain and chill. In a medium bowl add all shredded cheeses and mix well. Chop the pepperoni and slice the green onions; mix well with the cheeses. Add chilled, crumbled sausage and black olives. Mix all together and chill.
2. MAKE the waffles. In a large bowl, whisk together the Baking & Pancake mix, and all herbs and spices.
3. SEPARATE the yolks from the egg whites. Beat the egg whites with vinegar until stiff. Chill.
4. COMBINE in a large measuring cup or small bowl the pizza sauce, milk, and egg yolks; mix with a fork until well combined. Mix into the Baking & Pancake Mix and stir until smooth, with no lumps. Prior to combining stiff egg whites into the batter…
5. PREHEAT the waffle iron to medium-high. Add the cheese and meat mixture to the pancake mixture and mix until well incorporated. Fold the egg whites into the waffle mixture. It takes a little time for the whites to incorporate. Keep folding until there
6. BAKE immediately in a well-sprayed waffle iron. Once cooked; keep warm in a 200°F oven, on a rack on a sheet pan, or serve. Serve with the optional ranch dressing for dipping.
7. TO FREEZE: Let the waffles cool on the rack. Wrap in individual wax or paper bags, place in a plastic bag, and freeze.
8. TO REHEAT: When ready to eat, thaw the waffles on the counter as the oven pre-heats to 300F°F. Once up to temperature, put the waffles on a rack on a sheet pan and re-heat for 8 to 10 minutes. They will be crisp on the outside and delicious on the inside.
Whether you get takeout pizza or make your own, mark your calendars for: