Sauteed Asparagus with Lemon Cream Sauce is an easy way to prepare fresh asparagus. Asparagus is the perfect vegetable for any time of the year.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quick and Easy Pan Fried Asparagus Recipe
Do you love simple side dishes? I love side dishes that take no time to prepare. Sometimes just the mere fact you are putting dinner on the table is challenging.
So often when you are putting together a meal it is difficult to get everything to the table at once. Making asparagus with a creamy lemon sauce means you can spend a minimum of time on a side dish you will love.
This creamy asparagus recipe is one that I adapted from the From Julia Child’s Kitchen cookbook. This is one of her books that included French recipes but with an American palette in mind. Many of the recipes in the book are very simple and completely accessible by cooks of all skills.
What I love about this asparagus with lemon cream sauce recipe is that you can make it in about 15 minutes. What a great side dish to make on a busy day!
Why You Should Try This Recipe
Lemon and cream is a classic flavor pairing in French cuisine and works extraordinarily well in this dish. The tang of the lemon juice cuts the richness of the butter and cream, creating a sauce that is complex in flavor yet extremely easy to make.
Pan-seared asparagus with lemon-cream sauce is sophisticated enough to serve at a dinner party but straightforward enough to make for your family’s weekday dinner.
Low Carb and Keto Friendly Asparagus Recipe
Yes! Creamy sauteed asparagus is low in carbohydrates and a perfect side dish to make for anyone on a keto diet.
Creamy Asparagus Recipe Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need:
- Fresh asparagus
- Unsalted butter
- Ground black pepper
- Lemon juice
- Heavy cream
- Lemon slices for garnish
Tips for Fresh Asparagus
When I purchase asparagus, I like to buy the thin stalks, as they are often more tender and they are not woody like thick asparagus can be.
If you buy thick asparagus, you may want to peel the skin off of it before you begin to cook it. The skin is where the woodiness can be.
How to Make Sauteed Asparagus with Lemon Sauce
To make this pan fried asparagus recipe:
- Slice off the fibrous ends of the asparagus. While many people snap the ends off, this causes a lot of food waste. Instead, just cut an inch off the bottom. If you are using asparagus stalks thicker than your pinkie, use a peeler to remove the peel two or three inches from the end.
- Cut the shallot into small dice.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Once the butter stops foaming, add the shallots, season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute the shallots until they just begin to become translucent.
- Place the asparagus in the pan. Use the back of a spatula to roll the asparagus to ensure even cooking.
- Cook the asparagus long enough until the stalks deepen in color and become fork-tender. Exactly how long to saute asparagus depends on the thickness. Try to use stalks that are roughly the same diameter so all the asparagus will finish cooking at the same time.
- Remove the asparagus onto a wire rack over paper towels to drain.
- Pour the heavy cream into the same pan and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any stuck on bits.
- Simmer the sauce until it thickens slightly and stir in the lemon juice.
- Return the asparagus to the pan and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
- Garnish with lemon slices if desired.
How To Serve Creamy Asparagus
Place the asparagus on a serving platter or individual plate. If you are serving the meal family-style, reserve any extra sauce in a gravy boat; otherwise, drizzle a tablespoon or two of sauce over each individual portion.
Finish the dish with a squeeze of lemon, a thin lemon slice, and a little freshly ground black pepper over the top of the asparagus.
What To Serve With This Pan Seared Asparagus Recipe
Sauteed Asparagus with Lemon Cream Sauce pairs wonderfully with pan seared chicken or grilled steak. Serve creamy asparagus alongside poached eggs and home fries for a memorable brunch menu.
How To Store Leftover Asparagus
Trim the bottoms of the asparagus and place the stalks cut-end down in a glass with an inch of water. Keep the asparagus uncovered in the fridge for up to five days. Change the water daily.
Can You Freeze Asparagus with Lemon Sauce?
The lemon sauce for the asparagus doesn’t do well in the freezer. It is best to prepare the sauce freshly. However, you can freeze asparagus to prepare the recipe in the future.
To do this:
- Blanch for 30 seconds in boiling water and cool immediately in a bowl of ice water.
- Remove the asparagus from the water and dry.
- Lay the asparagus on the baking sheet and place the tray in the freezer until the asparagus freezes — about two hours.
- Transfer the frozen asparagus to a freezer bag and store it in the freezer for up to three months.
Thaw the asparagus in the fridge before cooking.
Love asparagus? Try these recipes!
Favorite Vegetable Side Dish Recipes
- Boiled Carrots
- Broccoli and Cheese
- Fried Okra
- Garlic Green Beans
- How to Cook Cabbage
- Mixed Vegetables
- Parsley Potatoes
- Roasted Red Potatoes
- Scalloped Corn
Check out more of my easy vegetable side dish recipes and the best low carb recipes here on CopyKat!
Sauteed Asparagus with Lemon Cream Sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons diced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus washed and trimmed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- lemon slices optional garnish
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and sauté them until they are soft and almost translucent. Season the shallots with salt and pepper while they are cooking.
- Add the asparagus and toss to coat with the butter. Cook the asparagus until it changes color. The cook time will depend on the thickness of the asparagus.
- Add the lemon juice and heavy cream, and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the asparagus from the skillet to a serving dish.
- Pour the sauce over the asparagus.
- Garnish with lemon slices if desired.
The post Sauteed Asparagus with Lemon Cream Sauce appeared first on CopyKat Recipes.