Sweet and Sour Baby Back Ribs are coated in a sweet and sour sauce made with orange juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and jalapenos, and baked until tender. These are some super tasty ribs!
The sauce for these oven-baked ribs has so much flavor. You won’t miss the fact that they are not smoked.
The sauce has quite a few ingredients but it comes together quickly and it can be made a day in advance. There’s orange juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, jalapenos, and ginger. It’s sweet, tangy, salty, and spicy and goes perfectly with meaty, tender baby back ribs.
TRY THESE OTHER AMAZING RIB RECIPES:
- Jack Daniel’s Ribs (TGI Fridays copycat)
- Crock Pot Hawaiian Ribs– covered in a pienapple-teriyaki based sauce. So good!
- Crock Pot Ribs– so easy!
- Honey Chipotle Ribs– both sweet and spicy.
SWEET AND SOUR BABY BACK RIBS RECIPE TIPS:
Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up.
Remove the silver skin from the backs of the ribs. Silver skin is a thin membrane of connective tissure that runs on the underside of the ribs. It makes the ribs harder to eat and prevents the flavors of the sauce from penetrating the ribs on the underside.
To remove the silver skin, slide a knife under it and either lift it or cut through it so that you can grab it with your fingers. Pull it off. It should come off in big sheets like wallpaper does. You don’t have to get every bit off, but the more you get off, the better.
Great Sides To Serve With Ribs:
Sweet and Sour Baby Back Ribs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced into thin rings
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 (2-pound) racks baby back ribs, silver skin removed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a bowl, whisk together the orange juice, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, cornstarch, and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add jalapeno slices, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add orange juice mixture and bring to a boil. Simmer until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set a wire rack inside the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle both sides of the ribs with salt and pepper. Place them meaty side up on the wire rack.
- Measure out 1/2 cup of sauce and set aside the rest. Brush the ribs with the 1/2 cup of sauce.
- Place in oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Brush ribs with some of the remaining sauce. Place back in oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Reheat the remaining sauce. Place ribs on a serving platter and pour the remaining sauce over them. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.